MY EXPRIENCE (so far) WORKING IN A SALON

It has been approximately 90days since I started working for Top Rose Hair and Beauty Salon. To be honest with you, wasn't really prepared for it, mentally. Initially I thought it would be a smooth ride, I was a little bit naive, mostly because I was just happy I got a job after a couple of months of tarmacking and the excitement sought of brought it in. Well, I didn't really start off on a high as I was late for my first managerial meeting, which was a bit embarrassing, I could have been early if only I remembered the right mats to get in. 5 minutes, that's how one decision got me late by. At the meeting was taken a back by the challenges that they face as managers of different branches. In my mind I was having all this "great" ideas that might counter all those challenges that they were going through, I really was eager to make an impact. I wanted to bring a change that will grow the business to new heights, having in mind that I had only been in one branch(which was just one day) and was completely inexperienced on what goes on in all the branches. My mind was racing with ideas. I knew that I would definitely be winning and I would make a huge impact and given my IT background I would incorporate it in the business, make everything seamless. Given my good charms and cool demeanour the stuff and the clientele wouldn't have any complaints directed at me. Boy was I wrong. You see, I assumed majority of the things.
let me break it down for you.

BRANCH CHALLENGES

Did I say I had all this amazing ideas to help with all those challenges? Shock on me. Almost if not all my ideas to face the challenges were blown into smoke before they even properly conceptualised. When it came to marketing a particular branch that was at the time still getting on its feet was in an environment that was a bit tougher than the rest, a man-eat-man sought of environment. There was and still is a lot of slander going on in that place from the other salons that surround us. I really don't get how slander helps when trying to deal with competition, why don't they just have better services. It's really irritating you know. We are a very classy and professional salon (why lie?) and thus being in such an environment was definitely going to attract some heat on us. My first time going to that branch I thought the manager I found there was a bit skeptical over the place, like he had given up on it, he was emitting some serious negative energy and that was something I wanted to change. Offers were not embraced at the beginning but now they are, which is some good news. I really wasn't prepared for the challenges. I jumped my gun and I got surprised big time.

 HUMAN RESOURCE

Aah, here I am, trying my best to be the best manager any of them could ever wish for and I still manage to lock heads with a couple of them. Okay, they are not all bad but there are some that really got into my nerves. I do try to understand them, believe me, I give it 100% when it comes to that but you know, I can get a bit short tempered at times mostly when it comes to not playing you part and just come up with wimsey excuses or bluntly ignore my instructions that I so calmly and respectfully give (I think). I am told I can be a bit bossy. May be I might also be a part of the problem. I get to learn a lot on a daily when it comes to working with people and how I can be a better leader and a manager. How to be a good decision-maker without having to second guess everything and most importantly to be a good listener.

It's been a journey and I get to learn everyday. On the bright side, I now know the difference between a manicure and a pedicure, weaves and braids. It's really fantastic to work here, great bosses to work for, an awesome team to work with and I get to use the free WLAN so y'all know I'm watching cat videos from the am till the pm.
Something that I still never get is people spilling tea about other people and play pretend when they around, at the end of the day, some misconceptions about salons are true, the amount of tea being served is a loooooot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BATTLE BORN

How to Permanently Delete Conexant Audio Drive in Windows 10.

5:30